Truly, You are a God who hides Himself, O God of Israel, Savior! (Isaiah 45:15)
What would you say if I said that God is the most obscure Being in the universe? God has been pleased to not only dwell in obscurity but to use obscurity to perfect and bless His people throughout the ages.
Have you ever realized how much of God’s life and activity are shrouded in mystery and secrecy? It seems that some of God’s most significant works have been done in the dark, as it were, away from the probing eyes of people and angels. Consider just a sampling of the proofs of His obscurity:
- God’s activity in eternity past is totally unknown.
- When He created the present heavens and the earth, darkness covered the surface of the deep.
- God incarnate (Jesus) was conceived and hidden in the womb of an obscure virgin for nine months.
- As a newborn He was laid in a feed trough in a small village on a dark night.
- His birth was first announced not to powerful kings but to nameless shepherds working the night shift.
- His first thirty years were lived in almost total anonymity.
- When His ministry went public He again and again tried to avoid notice.
- He faced His accusers and executioners all alone.
- As He died for the sins of mankind on the cross there was total darkness.
- When He was raised from the dead, very early on the third day, no person was there to witness it.
It really is quite incredible to consider all God’s marvelous works that have been done in secret. You may recall the divine response that shut Job’s mouth:
Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?… Where is the way to the dwelling of light?… Can you bind the chains of Pleiades, or loose the cords of Orion?… Do you know the ordinances of the heavens, or fix their rule over the earth?… Tell Me if you have understanding. (Job 38)
The clear implication in this discourse was that many of God’s works are transcendent. He does what He wills without consulting anyone! Job learned that many of God’s ways are unfathomable. They are hidden from the eyes of mortal man and angels. They are beyond searching out. They exist in utter obscurity.
As we look into this subject a bit deeper, prepare to be amazed at how glorious being hidden can be.
Yeah, I know, not exactly an American concept. But it is amazing. Stay tuned.